I am looking for a design for the attic or our 100 year old house. The current attic has a very steep staircase and an unfinished space that is used for storage. I would like to convert the attic to finished space that would be used for work/office space for me and my wife as well as additional space if guests come to visit. I don't like the current design submitted by a local contractor - the space doesn't feel open enough or very inspired.
Key desires (an INSPIRED, OPEN, MODERN design)
1. fixing the staircase to be less steep - more of a normal pitch
2. lifting the roof somewhat or adding dormers - retaining the exterior charm while adding light and useable space in the attic. I don't have a fixed idea of what it should look like... this is a question for me. I like the space of a shed dormer in the front of the hosue but am worried that it won't look right.
3. as open as possible - with a modern design. chimney can be eliminated by updating furnace to a modern one
4. inspired office work space for 2-3 people
5. space for a pull out couch to read/ watch TV as well as serve as additional sleeping space for guests
6. a modern bathroom with 6ft soaking tub (not jacuzzi) - with a ledge for candles or soap. ideally, the bathroom should have a shower as well or separate stall shower.
7. creative storage space for clothes and books