This is a mid century modern (with craftsman influence) remodel/update/garage extension to a 1956 rancher with beautiful mountain views, excellent location, and great potential. The house is a just over 1300sq ft on one floor with a full finished basement and extra large 2 car attached garage. The house is in excellent condition with all original fixtures and spaces. The first floor is completely accessible from the basement exposed ceiling.
Combining two small bedrooms to create a master suite and large closet
Reorienting an existing laundry area into an ensuite master bathroom.
Reorienting a kitchen/dining area and living room into one open space to maximize natural light and the exterior views
Moving main floor laundry down to large basement space.
Addition of an office and mudroom in part of existing garage space
New front elevation to accomodate garage extension and egress window in basement
1. The main problem with our home is flow and usable space. The square footage and space is adequate, but dead spaces, small storage spaces, hallways, and light blocking walls make the house feel smaller than it is. We are a family of 4 who enjoy comfortable spaces that allow us to entertain guests easily.
2. The whole house has terrible lighting. Very few lighting fixtures. It’s dark in almost every room in the house yet there is plenty of natural light for any one room.
3. Almost everything is original. Carpet in the bathrooms, pink and purple tiles, carpet in the kitchen, etc.
4. No master suite or closet to match
5. No master bathroom or current fixtures
6. Small galley kitchen with little storage and no pantry.
7. No real dining area. There is a small breakfast nook and nowhere to entertain guests.
8. No good space for our home office. We both work from home and spend up to 15 hrs/day in that one room. We’d like our office to have the view and the dedicated space to feel comfortable.
9. Very poor space for our living room which is completely closed off from the view out the back of the house and the kitchen/dining area.
10. Tiny main floor laundry area that is not designed for modern sized washer/dryer and clearance space for them.
To live in a clean, updated, mid-century modern, craftsman influenced, atomic ranch home that our family loves and others enjoy when they visit and drive by. We’d like the exterior and interior to be cohesive. We have remodeled 4 homes and have enjoyed giving our guests the “wow” factor. We are motivated to complete this project in the short term and plan to have the entire project completed within the next 6 months. We are open to working with the winning designer after the competition.
1. As shown on the picture descriptions, there are certain plumbing walls and structural considerations that must be considered. We are also desiring to do this project on a limited budget and as affordable as possible. So, even though we are prepared to remove walls and place support beams where necessary, we want to use as much of the homes shell and plumbing access as possible.
2. fireplace cannot be removed, we like it.
3. We have 8 ft ceilings throughout the house. The garage is 2 steps down from the house.
4. All areas, except the kitchen/dining area and bathrooms, had red oak wood flooring under the carpet that had never been exposed. We want to continue the red oak flooring into the kitchen/dining area and do tile in the master bathroom and mudroom.
5. I’d like to stay consistent with the mid century modern color palette/with the warmth of the craftsman style. Slate colors, deep reds and oranges, crisp whites, warm grays, with bright bold accent colors.
6. I’d like to recycle vintage St. Charles metal kitchen cabinets that are currently white and can be powder coated into a different color. I’d like to incorporate wood details into the kitchen space as a contrast to the metal.
7. We love windows and bringing the outdoors into the interior spaces. We chose our home based on its location and views of the Rocky Mountain Front Range. We are 2 blocks from Garden of the Gods park with the beautiful hues of red rocks and green spaces.
Would like regular plan drawings in scale, 3D views of all rooms, sections/elevations (in particular the front elevation and side elevations to show the addition)
MATERIAL FROM CLIENT
Please click on "Images" for pictures and plan drawing pictures
Please click on "+" tab for detailed floor plan (see SummaryOverview.pdf)
Please click on "+" tab for additional pictures and diagrams
Please visit following link for additional precedent pictures: http://bit.ly/zgk58X