Home office: The current room labelled "Study" on my original house plans (front left room as you enter the house through the front door) is being used as a music room. It contains a baby grand piano which renders the room of limited utility. I'd like to convert it to a contemporary home office, with a sleek, large desk for the computer that faces the front window ( so that I can look outside as I'm sitting at the desk ), a couch, maybe a chair, storage (thinking a modern credenza?), a rug (I have a sisal there now and would like to add an oushak or cowhide on top of it as a second layer). A TV over the fireplace is an option that I'd consider. There are no curtains in the room right now and it is completely panelled with dark mahogany and has a green marble fireplace surround. I would prefer light colored furniture to contrast to the dark panelling. There are no bookshelves in that room.
Mudroom: The side entrance of the house is the family's main thoroughfare but it doesn't work for several reasons:
1) There are no true cubbies (would like 5)
2) There's a sink in the middle of the counter space
3)The cabinets are shallow thus limiting storage
4)The laundry room is basically a hallway to access the half bath
5)The washer and dryer are on the floor. I'd like them to be elevated so that I don't have to bend down so much to move the clothes (I'm tall)
6) I would prefer the space to be open and include an adequate counter for folding clothes, good storage, a place to put a small dog's crate and to house a crate for guinea pigs (this is large, about 6 feet long :( ), a normal sized sink, full sized washer and dryer. I'd be open to losing the half bath (the service half bath).
7) I would like to keep an interior door with a deadbolt, but I'm open to moving the current interior door closer to the garage door, in order to make that space one big open space
8) The fuse box is in the garage against the wall that the sink is close to, so moving in to the garage is not an option
9)I'd like a charging station for phones, computers
10)would be great to have a small office for mail, bulletin board, laptop
Living room: The room labelled "Grand Salon" is the room that we use to watch TV at night as a family. I'd like to move the grand piano into that room and add a sectional sofa. We have a tv above the fireplace that I'd like to keep. There is a nice sisal rug in there with a dark brown fur trim that I'd like to keep. I do have 2 great purple velvet 1960's vintage chairs that are very comfortable and low set that I'd like to keep. I can provide photos. I have drapes in there now, but I'm open to changing them. We are a tall family of five and we entertain often, so we'd like ample, comfortable seating that can handle alot of wear and tear. Neutral colors would be best. Walls are a neutral white called papaya. French doors are painted dark brown on the inside.
original house plans included
Thanks for considering and can't wait to see all of the great ideas!