We need a modern kitchen that supplies ample countertop space and provides adequate storage for pantry goods and small kitchen appliances. We would like the design to be consistent with the period and architecture of the house, which is a Capitol Hill rowhouse in the federal style and built in 1895. Room is 10 feet wide by 12 feet 7 inches long.
The redesigned kitchen needs the following elements addressed:
1) additional countertop space
2) a new floor that can be connected to our boiler so as to heat the room by the hot water from the floor (the current radiator will be removed)
3) a range with more than four burners
4) a double oven mounted in the cabinets and a warming drawer placed under the ovens
5) the cabinetry and general design should maximize light and be based around a white color scheme
6) the new floor would not be hardwood; the new surface is open to suggestion but needs to be okay to get wet, not stain from spills while cooking, not scratch, and does not show dirt.
7) a small seating area would be preferred but is not necessary
8) there is a chimney on the exterior wall that cannot be removed but could potentially be used to vent the range/stove
9) space for a dishwasher and hidden trash disposal and recycling trash bins.
10) a dramatic chandelier or other focal point lighting
11) an either two or three compartment sink
12) space for a French-door refrigerator
The primary goal of the project is an awesome kitchen that will be striking to visitors, while also being practical and functional for cooking for a small family. We want the kitchen design to be consistent with the design theme of the house, which is a historic Capitol Hill row house constructed in 1895 (i.e., design should not modern/contemporary).