The purpose is to enhance the curb appeal and functionality of the front of our home which includes building a new front/porch entryway, replacing a picture window/enclosure, updating the garage door and entryway, and addressing any other design opportunities. The home was built in 1952 is painted brick on the lower level and new fiber board shake siding on the second level. Cost is a concern as the home value is only around $250K so the final selection will be based upon a balance of affordability and design.
1. REPLACE FRONT PORCH AND SLAB - The current porch functions primarily as a covered entryway. We would like a new porch that offers more architectural interest while remaining in character with the home and neighborhood. If feasible (not required) we would like to enlarge the porch to make room for some chairs or a sitting area; however we do not want the porch becoming disproportionate to the house. Cost is also a consideration. For instance a full length porch would be nice but probably not economically feasible. We still want the porch to be covered and a railing is optional. The base can be any material, however, we would prefer to retain the existing exposed aggregate steps and walkway to conserve cost but would consider other options if not too costly. We are particularly interested in the roof, post, and railing design as well as a proposed front door style.
2. REPLACE FRONT PICTURE WINDOW AND HOUSING - Looking for window style / type and size recommendation. The window enclosure will need to be rebuilt and protrudes from the house as does the interior space so the new window/enclosure will need to protrude as well. We are open to suggestions such as a roof or awning over the window, window boxes, or just keeping it simple or similar to what it is now - whatever enhances the curb appeal and ties in with the overall style of the home.
3. IMPROVE GARAGE FACADE AND ENTRYWAY - There is an alcove and entryway into the garage that lies between the garage door and the porch (see photos) that is currently not utilized. The doorway/alcove is at a different elevation and depth than the front porch. We would be open to ways to adjoin the two if it makes design sense. If not, there is a small fence/divider on the front of the alcove that will need to be re-thought. We are also looking for a recommended garage car door style and perhaps changing/replacing the posts on both sides or utilizing some other style of overhang support.
4. We are open to any other suggestions you may have to improve the overall curb appeal of the home
5. Dimensions. I do not have a scaled drawing but some of the basic dimensions of the structure as it is today are as follows:
- Porch Slab: 9' W x 4' 8" D
- Porch Slab to Picture Window Box: 3' 7"
- Window Box: 10' W x 8' H x 1' D
- Window Box to Corner of House: 5' 4"
- Porch Slab to Corner of House (Alcove): 1' 8"
- Garage Alcove Entryway: 4' 2" W x 3' 7" (corner of house to garage entryway door)
- Garage Car Door: 15' W x 7" H
- Garage Door to Corner of House: 2'
- Pillar to Pillar (Garage): 16" 10"
- Driveway to Garage Overhang: 7' 9"