We are expecting our first child in August. It’s a boy! We’re changing one of our rooms to a nursery for our bundle of joy and are looking for a great interior design. The room is a 10’x11’ space. A layout and photos are attached to show the details of the room. None of the furniture or items currently in the room needs to be there, so it’s a blank space to work with.
We started putting the nursery together, but think some expert input would be best to bring about a memorable and well-designed nursery. Our initial thoughts were a green/brown/blue color palette with safari animal theme (tree, giraffe and elephant decals on the walls, dark wood furniture, etc.). Since we love traveling, another idea we discussed was having world maps incorporated in some manner. Though we aren’t married to any of these ideas, it gives you an idea of things we like.
We would like all the typical things in a nursery, crib, changing area, general storage area, chair to rock our baby to sleep, etc. We also want a design that is practical and fosters organization. We are looking for a beautifully designed nursery that incorporates all our needs. We intend to use and the winning the design and will implement it by July.
We don’t know too much about interior design (that’s why we need you). We indicated some thoughts above that reflect our style. We differ in styles slightly: husband loves history and world motif (there is a sarcophagus-inspired book case, a real suit of armor and other interesting collectables in our living room); wife is more of a Pottery Barn chic who favors simplicity and calmness.
• Overall budget for baby nursery is $3000. This includes furniture, lighting, decorative items, paint, or other wall treatments and nursery bedding.
• Safety is a priority. Design should be creative, but consider safety of the child first (i.e. we will not use cribs or sleeping structures that are not certified appropriately (JPMA, etc.)).
• No walls or doors will be knocked down or removed.
• The items pictured in the room will be moved out and need not be part of the design.
• We’d prefer to keep the carpet, however, will consider changing for the right design. It still needs to keep within overall budget.
• Designs that incorporate storage areas for books or educational items are preferred.
• Our home is located in Florida, so no need for winter considerations.
• We would not like an all-pastel color scheme. The color scheme should include bright masculine colors.
• Ability to stay within budget
Deliverables should include a complete interior design plan, including room layout, recommended furniture, color schemes, wall coloring, window treatments, accessories, etc. If a realistic 3D rendering could be done, that would certainly be helpful. We would appreciate specificity down to brand and model of furniture and other items, brand and color of paint for walls, etc.
- PLAN DRAWING: Scale 1/4"-1' (or 1/50)
- SECTION-ELEVATION VIEW(S) : Scale 1/4"-1' (or 1/50)
- PERSPECTIVE/AXONOMETRIC VIEWS (where relevant)